Re: [OM] problem: when winding, camera fires....

Subject: Re: [OM] problem: when winding, camera fires....
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 23:44:59 EDT
james_olson@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

 i remember someone else having the same problem, but here it is again,
 anyway: when i wind my OM, the shutter fires at the end of the stroke.  it
 only does it from time to time, but when it does, it fires the shutter on 3
 to 4 successive winds.

 is there an easy fix without removing the top plate?

 I bought an OM4 with a similar (known) problem and am still deciding if I am
going to repair it myself or send it off for repair.  Mine works fine off the
winder but fires on every other manual wind.  After looking carefully, it
turns out to be the mirror latch mechanism which is on the left of the
mirrror box (when viewed from the camera rear). The mirror and mechanism is
normally latched when it returns after taking a shot. On the winder it
returns with enough speed/inertia to latch reliably but on manual wind it
does not always latch. If you remove the lens and push down gently on the
lever that operates the diaphragm stopdown you should be able to latch the
mechanism (it clicks gently) and therby prevent the shutter release on that
next wind on. (This is a test not a fix!). It seems like it is likely to be a
major overhaul to really get at the mechanical latch although it is partly
visible behind the panel. I have not had a chance to get back to look at this
again but was considering trying to get  a dot of oil on a long needle to see
if I can ease the latch surface. If anybody else has an easy solution I would
be very interested to hear.

       Tim Hughes