Re: [OM] Speed of lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Speed of lenses
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 09:24:37 -0600
At 07:45 PM 10/5/2000 -0500, Don Gaikins wrote:

[snip]

>I have four lenses.  Two 50mm 1.8 Zuiko, a Kitstar f135mm 1:2.8 and a
>Vivitor 28mm 1:2.8.  I have seen posts on the list (and adds on eBay)
>that talk about fast and slow lenses.  Could someone explain to me what
>a fast lens means?  What  slow lens is?
>
>I thought that the second number just meant the widest aperture that the
>lens could achieve.  What does that have [to do] with speed?

Don:

Think of it this way.  If you own two lenses of identical focal length (say,
two 50mm Zuikos), but different maximum apertures, one will be "faster" than
the other.

Example:  You own a 50/2.0 macro and a 50/1.4 "standard" (one close-focuses,
the other doesn't, but ignore these differences for a moment).  You take a
picture of a scene with the 50/2.0 and find that the maximum shutter speed you
can coax out of it is 1/60th of a second.  Then you switch to the 50/1.4.  If
you take a picture of exactly the same scene, you now find that the maximum
shutter speed you can obtain is 1/125th of a second.  It's a *faster* shutter
speed (holding everything else constant).  Thus, the 50/1.4 is a "faster" lens
than the 50/2.0, by exactly one F-stop.

Smaller maximum apertures (denoted by smaller F-numbers) are "faster" than
larger maximum apertures.  Hence the reference to "speed."

Garth

P.S.:  If you actually *do* happen to own the above two lenses, you're also a
lucky bastard.  ;-)

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/, or
   http://www.enable.org/~gallery/