[OM] Speed of lenses

Subject: [OM] Speed of lenses
From: DON GAIKINS <dgaikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 19:45:38 -0500
 I am new to photography, and the list.  So far I have a OM-1 that was
bought back in the 1970's for my daughter  who was taking a photography
class in high school at the time.  My grandson and I found the camera in

the basement in an old milk crate and resurrected it.  I took some very
good pictures with it on my vacation this year, and have acquired an
interest in photography.  So much so that I just bought an OM2S Program
from eBay!

I have four lenses.  Two 50mm 1.8 Zuiko, a Kitstar f135mm 1:2.8 and a
Vivitor 28mm 1:2.8.  I have seen posts on the list (and adds on eBay)
that talk about fast and slow lenses.  Could someone explain to me what
a fast lens means?  What  slow lens is?

I thought that the second number just meant the widest aperture that the

lens could achieve.  What does that have with speed?

Thanks

--
Don Gaikins
W0VM