[OM] Distortion in wide angles and WA zooms

Subject: [OM] Distortion in wide angles and WA zooms
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:54:03 GMT
As I review the test results on Gary Reese's site I note that many, if not most, wide angles and short zooms demonstrated measurable distortion - usually barrel, sometimes waveform.

Here's the question: short of repeating Gary's tests, can such distortion be reliably detected through the viewfinder? If so, this would certainly simplify shopping.

However I suspect this would not be a reliable method. For example, certain of my Canon lenses appear to show significant distortion through the viewfinder: at close range the 50/1.4 seems to show gross barrel distortion; the 100-300/5.6, pincushion distortion throughout the focusing range. Yet photographs show little or none of this - certainly nothing approaching what I see through the viewfinder.

Also, in reading Gary's tests, I wonder whether it is even possible to make generalized statements about the performance of certain lenses, particularly zooms. For example, even the extraordinarily expensive 35-80/2.8 Zuiko tested demonstrated barrel distortion at 35mm. The several other 35-70mm zooms (f/3.5-4.5, f/3.6 and f/4) varied considerably in distortion, resolution and contrast, even when different samples of the same model were tested.

Granted, most of us have differing standards and even sensitivity to optical characteristics. Gary mentioned finding disturbing distortion in a photo of cactus, taken with the 35-70/3.5-4.5 Zuiko, while Tom and others have expressed satisfaction with the same lens. I've seen many online images taken with those lenses and see nothing objectionable - given the limitations of online viewing.

Finally, I'd certainly like to see any examples of these types of distortions that are clearly visible in photos our listfolk may have; something along the lines of the excellent examples David I. Vila and CH Ling recently provided regarding chromatic aberrations in the Zuiko 180/2.8. (Much as I'd like to reciprocate, the best I can offer are now-familiar examples of extreme curvature produced by my semi-fisheye adaptor in photos of Fort Worth's Flatiron Building - unless you'd like to see even more distorted pix of my grandkids taken with the same lens just for fun.)
===
BTW, a couple of years ago I decided to test assertions that makeshift close-up optics cannot produce satisfactory flat field photos. Using the Vivitar 2x macrofocusing teleconverter in combination with 50mm, 35mm and 28mm lenses. In each case both the lens and teleconverter were focused as closely as possible (some compromise was necessary with the 28mm, since the filter ring would practically have touched the subject!) to reveal any close-focusing error.

To my eyes the photos were uniformly sharp and free of distortion at the center and edges. The problem? My subject was a crisp new Andrew Jackson. While the film was b&w (T400CN, actually) and only a fraction of the bill was photographed, I'm reluctant to publish my results online - for obvious reasons.