[OM] OM] Ring Flash

Subject: [OM] OM] Ring Flash
From: Chris Barrett <cpbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:47:09 +0100
Dear Frank,

You wrote:

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:52:40 -0500
From: Frank Berryman <FAB@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] Ring Flash

Does anyone know of an alternative ring flash to the Olympus T1/T10 that
provides TTL metering other than the Sunpak DX-8R/DX-12R?  The Vivitar 5000
for sale by Olympus Guy does not appear to be TTL.  Also, is a ring flash
the best way to go for close-up nature shots, particularly flowers, or will
a T32 on an extender tilted down and diffused work equally well?  Any
thoughts on using a ring flash for portraits, particularly fill flash
outdoors?  Perhaps the GN is too small for that purpose.  Thanks.

For my macro work (1;1 mag of insects and spiders) I am currently using a
combination of T32 on bounce grip 2, with a T20 right alonside the lens (50mm
f/3.5 on a 2x concerter). I find this gives very pleasing results. The T32
provides a fill of the shadows cast by the (closer) T20. I like to see alittle
modelling of the contours on my subjects so this is the best combination I've
found so far.

I could email you a shot taken with this setup if you like. Eventually I'll get
the latest shots onto the Olympus Gallery.

Chris Barrett
Malvern, UK