Re: [OM] OM PC

Subject: Re: [OM] OM PC
From: ZuikoholicRI@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:22:32 EDT
In a message dated 09/26/2000 10:17:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jeffbellin@xxxxxxxx writes:

> Sorry to be so naive, but what is matrix metering compared with the
>  normal metering?

There are 3 common types of metering used in 35mm SLRs today.
Center-weighted, spot and matrix.

Center weighted averages the entire frame, giving more weight to the center
of the image.

Spot metering is pretty self-explanatory, I think (although not so simple to
use effectively).

Matrix metering tries to improve on center weighted readings by breaking up
the frame into a number of areas (anywhere from 2 in the OM-PC/OM-40 to
1000-something in the Nikon F5), analyze the brightness of each area and make
a guess at the proper exposure based on either an algorithm or some sort of
look up table. Generally these methods seem to improve the percentage of
properly exposed pics when compared to a center weighted reading. The problem
I always had with matrix systems compared to centerweighted ones is their
unpredictability. I can usually pick out a scene where I know that a center
weighted reading will be off, and in which direction it will be off (over or
under-exposure), even if I cant accurately estimate the exact amount of the
error. By their nature you cant really tell when a matrix meter will give an
incorrect reading.

Not sure if this helps or not, but hey, I  tried...

Paul Schings