Re: [OM] somewhat OT: 24bit vs higher color

Subject: Re: [OM] somewhat OT: 24bit vs higher color
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 21:27:47 -0700
> >They don't dither? They should - on both upconversion and downconversion...

 > Dithering is completely different from re-sampling...

That is one application of dithering, but it is not the definition
of dithering. Dithering is the addition of a noise signal to
improve the statistical properties of sample conversions.

Okay, I goofed up. We were discussing bit depth conversion, and I dived off into re-sampling.

I agree that bit depth conversion should use dithering (unlike re-sampling, which does not), but what does this have to do with the original subject -- why to use 16 bits instead of 8?

If you do work in 8 bits that cause the value range to be compressed, then later expand the range, you WILL have gaps in the histogram. I would expect this, and would call any software that dithered in such cases "buggy."

--
: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>