[OM] Slik U6000 tripod

Subject: [OM] Slik U6000 tripod
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 01:06:19 -0700 (PDT)
Dea All,

I'm ashamed to say that I've bought a tripod that doesn't seem to be
very good. As you may imagine, I am somewhat limited in my choice of
photographic items here in Indonesia but there really isn't any excuse.
I feel like a real sucker (but where am I going to find one at this
time of day?)

Anyway, see the following reviews, extracted from the "Photographic
Review" site (http://www.photographyreview.com/reviews/tripods/),
edited a bit to save space:

SLIK U6000 tripod
-----------------
Review 1:
Strengths: Light weight
Weaknesses: Not strong enough
Review Summary: Handle broke. Buy a better one.

Review 2:
Strengths: cheap, lightweight
Weaknesses: everything
Review Summary: This is not a real tripod. Everything about it wiggles
and comes loose- I'm fairly sure that having no tripod is better than
using this tipsy pod. I got it free with something- I forget
what...camcorder? It is however very lightweight- you probably need to
weight it down with a book or rock on a string, but then the head clamp
is wiggly. Terrible, I don't consider it an accessory for any type of
meaningful work. New, it is loose, used, it gets looser.

Review 3:
Strengths: it's light
Weaknesses: not really stable. legs slip on wet smooth surface (like a
balcony)
Review Summary: Now that I have a tele lens, I see how terrible
unstable this thing is. Just a little wind makes it shake. But it
should be usable for camcorders. For photography, I am going to buy a
REAL tripod soon. (Type of photography I do: weather/lightning,
nighttime and macro)

Review 4:
Strengths: CHEAP
Weaknesses: CHEAP
Review Summary: VERY POORLY MADE. WILL NOT HANDLE MUCH WEIGHT. DON'T
WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Review 5:
Strengths: Light.
Weaknesses: extremely FRAGILE!!
Review Summary: This tripod is made from very cheap plastic.
The tightener handlebar cracked after I applied
minimun presure. Very poorly build.

Review 6:
Strengths: Small, lightweight
Weaknesses: REALLY CHEAP construction
Review Summary: OK, whatever you do DON'T buy this tripod. I have had
it for 5+ years (since I was shooting with a P/S) and it has been
nothing but trouble. First, after about a year and a half of VERY
limited use, the plastic mechanisim used to tighten the vertical
panning of the head cracked and eventually broke off. I ordered a
replacement through a local retailer, but it took over two months to
get a replacement! Then the same thing happened again about three
months ago (ie fall 99), literally as I was puting it in the car to go
to the mountains to shoot the fall leaves! This time I made a crude fix
myself, but now 4/6 of the leg-tightning levers have cracked and will
not hold the weight of my N50, not to mension the F4s I occasionally
use! ARGHHHH

The above six reviewers have had more experience with the U6000 than I,
but I'm sure I'll come around to their way of thinking in time. I'm
aware, of course, that many Oly List members are very well informed
about tripods. Well, meet one who isn't! (And I'll bet I'm not the only
one). I should have heeded the wisom of the list, of course, and bought
a Gitzbow or a Manfritter or a Vogen or something better (hey, who are
you calling balls-head?) Anyway, to those who need to know, be warned:
steer clear of the Slik U6000! And to those who don't, here's one more
posting to delete - at least I'm trying to avoid OT stuff, like we've
agreed.

You know, it's at times like this that I really wish I'd listened to my
Mother. "Why, what did she say?" I hear you ask. I DON'T KNOW - I
DIDN'T LISTEN! (since quotes from the "Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the
Galaxy" seem to be in vogue).

Regards,

=====
Ray