Re: [OM] Freedom, politics

Subject: Re: [OM] Freedom, politics
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 22:51:08 -0700
In a message dated 9/22/2000 3:10:05 PM, Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I'm wondering, Rob: have you ever worked and lived in a foreign
country?>>

It's interesting that you would
think I am provincial and politically naive merely because of my views.

It's interesting that you would read that into the simple question, "Have you ever worked and lived in a foreign country?"

BTW: how did you like Korea? I was at Osan '79-'80. I got to Okinawa once, when our Blackbird had problems and couldn't get home, and we had to go work on it there.

I think you and I have the same problem I had with my ex, who was a strong Judger. I'm a strong Perceiver. These are Meyers-Briggs terms, and is not meant as a criticism (although if you really are a Judger, you'll probably take it as criticism :-).

I would always say, "These two things are different in these interesting ways," and my ex would say, "I love this, and that's a crock of shit!" This different way of looking at things kept us in constant misunderstanding and defensiveness, and eventually, divorce.

And if the government seeks to deny us the exercise our that right, we have
the right to resist... Of
course with a disarmed citizenry it may not be possible by any means.

Keep your guns. They aren't any good. The big corporations have won, and your guns can't do a single thing about it. Guns are impotent in today's war of ideas. In fact, I think a lot of the scuttlebut over guns is just to keep us from thinking of the REAL issues!

The President circumvents Congress and legislates with Executive
Orders

Thank goodness for that, at least!

and a line-item veto power!

Not any more, because although you complain that

The Supreme Court makes laws by judicial
fiat,

You obviously missed it when they struck down the line-item veto, which is why there will probably be another government shut-down, which may backlash on the Republicans like it did the last time if they're not careful.

(If you haven't been following things, the Republicans have been going crazy attaching anti-environmental riders and amendments to the basic appropriations budget that everyone's agreed on already. A veto has been vowed if the bill isn't "clean" as agreed in committee by both parties. This is the basic bill that funds government services, and if it comes to a showdown and Aunt Gertie's Social Security check doesn't arrive, the Republicans are going to be in a big hurt like the hurt that cost Gingrich his job.

It's because of such legislative hooliganism that the line-item-veto was invented. Or do you think sneaking such things as outlawing any studies of dam breaching into an already agreed budget is fair? We're talking STUDIES, not actual dam breaching! And there aren't even any studies proposed yet!

And while we're on personal freedoms, do you think the Congress should take away Oregonians' right to death with dignity? We've voted on it TWICE, and it's passed resoundingly -- something like 62% the last time, but the same Republicans who scream about "local control" of schools, medicine, etc. want to interfere with our right to take our own life when faced with a painful, slow death by terminal illness.

Many countries have this "freedom" that is currently only legal in the US in Oregon, and possibly not for long.

And Ron Wyden, bless his heart, is holding up all Senate action while this threat exists, and the anti-environmental riders are being glommed on in retaliation. Children, behave!

We have the freedom, the obligation and the tools and methods to
denounce and resist such.

Sorry to disagree, but no weapon you're packing is going to change things, even if you could stretch the meaning of "a well-regulated militia" to include any looney who shows up at a gun show and buys a weapon without a background search, thanks to the NRA and gun extremists.

I don't care if you have a gun. But I do care if your "pry it from my cold, dead hands" attitude causes others to have guns who shouldn't have them.

--
: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>