Re: Metric System (was Re: [OM] Wanted: base for focus rail or bellows)

Subject: Re: Metric System (was Re: [OM] Wanted: base for focus rail or bellows)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 13:27:56 -0700
From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx

Have you checked to see whether that is an SAE thread, 1/4 X 28 rather than
1.4 X 20? That's another possibility other than a metric thread.

As I had mentioned, I previously gauged it and determined it was metric. I remember going to several different hardware stores before finding the right bolt, which I seem to recall is 8mm.

BTW--you can
buy flat ended taps for threading to the bottom of a drilled hole.

Yeabut -- I've got a complete set of taps, and a complete set of drills, so I'll try to make do with what I have.

BTW: where do I report my time and trouble to, so that it can go in the "minus" column of Adam Smith, as his ghost determines that the metric system is economically unjustified in the US? :-)

I'm the victim of what economists 200 years more experienced than Smith call an "unallocated externality," but that doesn't stop armchair economists from claiming that market forces justify the current situation.

--
: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>