Re: [OM] [OT] no longer Batteries, batteries, batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] no longer Batteries, batteries, batteries
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 22:03:22 GMT
Lest we digress into a thread on firearms, which may be distasteful to our OM/Zuiko brethren and sistren (?), I will just say that having undertaken the most extreme responsibility involved in carrying a firearm, I am far, far more cautious than ever before. Rather than assuming it is my ticket to safe passage thru the netherworld, I do exactly the opposite. I avoid anything remotely resembling unsafe territory or situations. My head is up at all times, not buried in my equipment or daydreams. Therefore it has been a long, long time since I was in any situation approaching the evident danger zone. Because the last thing I want in my life's experience is participating in ending that of another.

Sure, it's possible that I'd get along just as well without some form of self-protection. It's also possible that I'd get away driving without wearing a seat belt. But why?

Lex
===

From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 00:44:12 EDT

[snip] People shouldn't be paranoid about every stranger they see, but being naive about the risks (read unsuspecting and unprepared) does tend to tip the
scales in the not nice person's favor.

[snip]

On the other hand, carrying a deadly weapon is not gamesmanship. If one does
decide to "let someone have it," it had best be due to a reasonable belief
that one's life or health, or someone else's life or health, was at risk, not
just your OM gear, wallet, etc.

My hard-earned $0.02,

Robert