[OM] national parks

Subject: [OM] national parks
From: Garry Lewis <glewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:11:02 -0500
Dear Mr. Lewis:

We received your request regarding the policy on photographing in the national
parks.  I have no knowledge of the perception that one is permitted to take
pictures in a national park based on whether you look like a tourist or a
professional.

However, it is stipulated in the Revised NPS-53, Special Park Uses Guidelines,
Appendix 20-Filming and Photography, what the policy is regarding filming and
still photography in the national parks.  It states in part that: "Visitors
using cameras and/or recording devices for their own personal use are generally
exempt from film permit requirements."  Also, on still photography: "The NPS
will not require a permit for photographers to go anywhere or  to do anything
that members of the public are generally allowed to go or do without a permit.
This is true whether or not the photographer uses tripods, strobe lights, or
interchangeable lenses."  So, if one is planning a trip, with specific kinds of
photography in mind, then the best to contact the superintendent of that area to
get the guidelines and whether a permit is required.

If you would reply with your address, I will mail to you a copy of this portion
of the document for your perusal.

Thank you for your interest in the National Park Service.

Rosa Wilson
Manager, Headquarters Photographic Library
202/208-4997

--
If I had known then what I would have to pay for them today, I would have
enjoyed my sins more.