Re: [OM] Zuiko 180/2.8 Test with UV filter

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 180/2.8 Test with UV filter
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:32:21 GMT
FWIW, I've also noticed a reduction in apparent chromatic aberration by stopping down using a Vivitar T-mount preset 300/5.6 lens. Even with the addition of a Kiron 1.4x teleconverter there was less chromatic aberration when the lens was stopped down. This was observed in photos of this weekend's 3/4 moon.

Beyond this I'm fairly ignorant of lens faults. My copy of "The Manual of Photography (7th Ed.)" distinguishes between "axial chromatic aberration" (commonly referred to as chromatic aberration) and "transverse chromatic aberration" (commonly referred to as lateral color). While the first may be minimized by stopping down, the latter (lateral color) is not corrected by stopping down. And various apochromatic optical formulas are designed to correct the former, while various extra low dispersion formulas (including flourite) are designed to correct the latter.

That's just a rough summary of my understanding of what the book's editors say.

It sounds to me as tho' what we're observing in the Zuiko 180/2.8 is actually lateral color rather than axial chromatic aberration, according to the Manual. But I could be misunderstanding the book. It says lateral color error affects the edges of the image field (presumably the margins of the negative or chrome). Does this mean the color fringing seen in specular highlights and similarly bright areas elsewhere in the image are *not* lateral color error, but are axial chromatic aberration? Because the Manual states that all optical errors other than lateral color and diffraction can be minimized by stopping down.

I dunno.  Anybody else understand this subject better than I?

Lex
===