RE: [OM] Gas mileage; was: OK, it's not flashes anymore...

Subject: RE: [OM] Gas mileage; was: OK, it's not flashes anymore...
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 20:41:11 -0400
I routinely get 24mpg in my Blazer @ 75-80mph.  Maybe it is because I carry
an OM-G w/501.8 in the glove compartment!
Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

> The highway numbers are always too high,
>  since nobody really drives 48mph.

Just thought I'd jump in on this one:

My '99 Grand Prix GTP carries a factory highway rating of 28 mpg. I averaged
29 on an interstate trip running 75-80, and got an instantaneous reading of
31 mpg from the onboard computer doing 85 on flat land (disclaimer: I was on
a 4-lane interstate with no other vehicles around to endanger). I've checked
mpg in several GM cars with trip computers over the years, and I think the
GM
four-speed transmissions are geared so tall that they give the best mpg in
the 70-80 mph range.