Re: [OM] 35-70 2.8, 350 2.8 tests

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-70 2.8, 350 2.8 tests
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 17:37:28 +0000
Lets see, the Leica does not cover as great a focal length range and is a
whole stop slower.

If the point scoring took these factors into account the scores might well
be more even.

The 35-80/2.8 is about US$1200 in the US.

I must say that if the 35-80/2.8 did worst amongst the five zooms tested I
have to wonder whether there was a problem with the testing or the test
specimen.

When Modern Photography tested one they said it was the finest zoom they
had ever tested.   I believe After Canon and Nikon caught up with
comparable zooms they retracted that and said it was 'one of' the finest
zooms they had ever tested.

Here is a snip from a post from George Anderson a while back -
-----------
I received my copy of Photo Techniques last night, and immediately read the
article on the best-kept secret.  The author was Douglas Dubler, a
professional fashion and studio photographer.  Not only does he love the
<snip> . He then mentions several Zuikos which he bought or were lent to
him which he says are better than any competing lenses, they are:
35-80/2.8; 100/2; 18/3.5 and 180/2 (Uh-OH, I don't have any of these, ...
)-----------

and another...

--------------
Well, the much-awaited article in Photo Techniques by Mike Johnston just
arrived at my door.  The title is "Great Zuikos". It's a follow-up to the
article a couple months ago describing the OM System as "Photographys'
Best-Kept secret." This one is a 1 1/2 page article describing some Zuikos
which are "...if anything, even better kept secrets than the [OM] cameras."

His "Short List": <snip>

35-80/2.8 "sharpest in it's class"

You will get the same 'funny' results if you look at German test
results for the 90/2.  It doesn't fare too well against Leica and Zeiss
macro lenses either, despite being way faster than any of them.

Does that magazine have test results for the 180/2, 250/2 or 80/4 macro?
I don't suppose it is in English?,  I am a bit linguisticly challanged.

Giles