Re: [OM] OK, it's not flashes anymore (about those subject lines....) -

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, it's not flashes anymore (about those subject lines....) - OT - back to cars
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:02:57 -0500
We must kill this thread soon.  Here's how they are calculated:

The test used to determine the city fuel economy estimate simulates a
7.5-mile, stop-and-go trip with an average speed of 20 miles per hour (mph).
The trip takes 23 minutes and has 18 stops. About 18 percent of the time is
spent idling, as in waiting at traffic lights or in rush hour traffic. Two
kinds of engine starts are used: the cold start, which is similar to
starting a car in the morning after it has been parked all night; and the
hot start, similar to restarting a vehicle after it has been warmed up,
driven, and stopped for a short time.

The test to determine the highway fuel economy estimate represents a mixture
of "non-city" driving. Segments corresponding to different kinds of rural
roads and interstate highways are included. The test simulates a 10-mile
trip and averages 48 mph. The test is run from a hot start and has little
idling time and no stops (except at the end of the test).

The city numbers are usually ok.  The highway numbers are always too high,
since nobody really drives 48mph.

Tom