Re: [OM] Olympus Commitment to OM line

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Commitment to OM line
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:33:54 GMT
I try to keep up, via CompuServe and other sources, with what's what among Nikonistas, Canonites and Minoltans. Altho' the Maxxum 9 is well respected as a solid pro camera equal in every respect to the F5 and EOS-1N, there remains some skepticism about Minolta's AF lenses, an unfortunate legacy of some earlier poor designs. So the feeling is that Minolta is working hard to catch up and regain the status it held during the '70s as a premium optics maker. It's a major gamble and, frankly, they may have waited too long.

But, as you've noted, it's an impressive committment. Canon was able to knock Nikon off their perch as the de facto pro standard with the EOS line - abandoning the entire FD line in the process - which must have caused some shudders among at least a few in Canon Corp.

Regarding Olympus, well .... they continue to rest on their laurels in the 35mm film world. Just MHO as one who only recently chose Olympus as a second system. No regrets. But theirs is a puzzling position.

Lex
===