Re: [OM] Malaysian breakdown

Subject: Re: [OM] Malaysian breakdown
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 16:44:53 GMT
Sorry to hear about your difficulties, Ulf. Some climates are truly brutal on electronics. Even in the relatively milder heat and humidity of Florida one of my Can-not-an-OM-on T70 bodies would get balky. The mirror would stick in the up position and required a second push on the shutter release button to unlock it.

I am surprised to hear about the difficulties with your OM-4Ti since I've seen test reports indicating it should withstand such climates without problem. Sorry it failed for you.

Do your research thoroughly and carefully before spending your hard-earned money on another system. Much as I like the Can-not-an-OM-on EOS system, from everything I've read and heard you can't depend on anything less than the EOS-1n (or latest version) for rough climate use. Forget the EOS-3 for now - I'm hearing of problems with it. Nothing major, but *any* problem on an important photography expedition is a major annoyance.

Same with the Nik-not-an-OM-on line - from what I've heard and read only the F5 can be completely depended on in the AF line. And hardcore Min-not-an-OM-olta folks seem very confident in the Maxxum 9xi (is that the correct model?).

These comments are based on lots of user evaluations I've read on CompuServe by serious amateurs and pros who've trekked throughout Africa, India, Malaysia and other rough climes. There are weekly online realtime conferences for Canonites and Nikonistas on CompuServe, so very little gets by them. Transcripts of those meetings are available in the photo forum libraries, which may by now be available on the web to non-CS subscribers.

You might also consider, if worse comes to worst, a Nikonos or Ikelite housing. One of the finest photographers on CS, Mark Westermeier, uses Nikonos gear extensively for his underwater work and has produced some magnificent images.

Lex
===