Re: [OM] Need advice: 38/2.8 Macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Need advice: 38/2.8 Macro
From: Walt Wayman <HIWAYMAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 09:49:35 -0400
The 135/4.5 on the 65-116 tube goes to about 3:1.  It also will focus to
infinity, which the 80/4 and shorter macros won't do.  It makes for a long,
heavy and slow 135 telephoto, but I've had occasion to use it as such and
the results were excellent.  I once was photographing a butterfly with the
135 and macro tube combination when a doe and two fawns came out of the
woods about 50 feet away.  A quick twist to collapse the tube and refocus
and I had the shot.

Realistically, though, except for the greater working distance and
different perspective of the 135, the 50/3.5 macro will do pretty much the
same things.  It's my everyday 50mm lens instead of the 1.4, except when I
feel the need for speed.

The 80/4 goes to just a little better than 1:1 and is an excellent lens,
but unless you plan to do LOTS of 3:1 to 1:1 macro work, think hard about
the cost.  I bought mine back in the early '80s when the Zuikos were a lot
cheaper, relatively speaking.

hiwayman