Re: [OM] digital vs analogue (offlist)

Subject: Re: [OM] digital vs analogue (offlist)
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:05:38 -0700
Hi Tom,

While I have no doubts that the same shot, with the same lens, taken by
the same photographer with Provia F and scanned on your 4000x4000
scanner (or even my Minolia QS35 for that matter) would be better, I was
impressed.

BTW, I'll take your criticism of that shot as a compliment to my work
since you have said kind things about it before ;-) The big difference I
see here is these guys make *a lot* of money with this work selling to
Racer Magazine, etc. (and I don't yet...:(...).

Keep in mind also that the lens used was probably some second rate (to a
Zuiko 350/2.8 that is) Nikor he he he...a 600/4 I'm guessing from
looking at the shot. What impressed me about that shot (and many others
who raved about it over on the PSCR sanctioing body message boards where
I found it) was the detail in the driver's gloves and the carbon fiber
on the car's dash...knowing this was a moving race car with what appears
to be a very long lens (we're talking literraly only inches of DOF) I
found it to be very impressive. However, I was not able to display the
enire image on this monitor nor have I printed it out to see the full
frame (I suppose I could open it Photoshop but I'm feeling lazy right
now...)

Anyway, I think once things taper off some in the technology/cost curve
I'll get a digital of some sort. I really like the idea of a combination
of a good digital (the new Olympus would work but I want more pixels and
more speed for less money...so I'll wait, besides...we're broke), a
laptop (I would opt for an iBook since I am a mac user and am stuck on a
PC all day at work and my computer at home is a mac G3), and an Epson
photo printer (I have an EX now but am waiting for the prices on the new
pigment based archival ink ones to drop). With this combination I could
litterally greet car owners with prints as they got out of their cars at
track events and driving schools which could be very lucrative.

Anyway...for now I'll keep shooting as much Provia F as I can. Monterey
last weekend was excellent and CART tests at Laguna Seca are tomorrow!
Hope all is well with you and your family and hope you're finding some
time to go play with your OMs! Take care Tom...

Regards,

Mike

PS: I think I would like to keep that Winder 2 as a spare...it seems to
work about as reliably (or not as the case unfortunately now is) as my
old Winder 2 I have had since new. Let me know how much you would like
me to send you for it and the Winder 1 if that sounds agreeable, or I
could send it back as-is (it works fine with the camera horizontal and
semi-flat...). So far I have gotten nowhere with Olympus trying to get
the o-ring and am unsure what size to look for in hardware bins...