A new era of photo retail?, was Re: [OM] Re: HiFi

Subject: A new era of photo retail?, was Re: [OM] Re: HiFi
From: "Simon Evans" <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:11:55 GMT
I have replied to a number of posts in one message (all roughly on the same topic), so excuse the length... (fnar fnar)

Dirk Wright wrote:

what would a "hi end" photo store look like? Nice, plush interior, >comfy chairs in front of light tables, with lots of lupes and sample >slides handy. Then, there would be the "slide show demo room"!!! >"Ah, but sir, you have to be really serious before we let you in >there." Black velvet covered walls, ten foot tall projection screen, >the very best in slide projectors, more comfy chairs, people >spending hours at a time analyzing the differences between lens >brands, get the picture?????

I love it! Camera retailers dwell on the physical attributes (black/chrome big/small, noisy/quiet) or the brand image of the manufacturer. Hence the popularity of branded camera straps and clothing. Yes Lex, ergonomics is another facet often ignored in the push to sell, sell, sell.

But a shop which sold products on the perceived merits of their performance? Fab. Mind you, would this mean most Leica dealers go out of business? Or perhaps we would be able to see the relative merits of each manufacturer's products for what they are.

In a separate post Dirk wrote about loupes:

The really good ones are hand made in a small shop in Austria by an >ex-Leica lens grinder. He grinds the lenses by hand, then uses his >own proprietary coating formula, and machines the barrels out of >titanium alloy.

While your post is still the realm of humour, I know a fellow who lives on a farm in rural Herefordshire, England. Malcolm Taylor is one of the most highly respected Leica repairers in the UK/Europe/The World (delete as applicable). He has his own lens coating machines, and he has travelled to Germany, at the request of Leica HQ, to work on their ancient prototypes. If you saw his farmhouse you'd never guess... and he can talk Leica for hours! His genuine enthusiasm is infectious.

Clyde Soles replies to Dirk:

There is no photographic "hi end" in the same sense as used in >>audio.
[snip]
Sorry Dirk, this is completely false. You obviously haven't discovered the world of large format and, especially, ultraformat >photography.

I'm sure LF is addictive. However, it needn't be expensive in the same way as high-end audio. Hardware can be relatively cheap (MPP 5x4" outfit for <£500 will take excellent photos), those exotic processes don't *always* sting the pocket (contact prints, or cyanotype, anyone?). But I guess it's a similar thing. I've only used a 5x4 once, but I'm already looking forward to the day when I have one myself :-)

Simon E.