[OM] 50/3.5 Macro and Kodachrome

Subject: [OM] 50/3.5 Macro and Kodachrome
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 07:34:02 GMT
Just felt like sharing.  %^q

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1005538&a=7400079&p=26757317&Sequence=0

This is a pair of Mexican Petunias, according to one of my field guides. Dunno, but they're very lavender. Last year's crop was better - took some hunting to find a couple worth shooting this year.

OM-1, Zuiko 50/3.5 macro, Kodachrome 64. Handheld, prolly 1/60 @ f/8 - to hot to mess with tripod or taking notes. I bracketed - the other shot was too light.

Inneresting side note: a local Eckerd pharmacy has a Polaroid 35 Plus sumpin'r'other slide/film scanner besides the usual flatbed. Pretty neat. Thought I'd give it a whirl. Unfortunately I forgot to take a diskette so I had to settle for a paper copy from their printer. The photo lab guy opened up the box for me - turns out the printer is a Sony dye sub, not an ornery inkjet like some places use. *Excellent* print quality, way better than any of the under-$500 inkjets I've seen.

So what you're seein' is a jpeg from a .cpt from a 300 dpi scan from our flatbed of the dye sub print from the original Kodachrome. Imagine what the slide looks like. It is gorgeous.

A few tricks that work for me, using a cheapo flatbed:

1. Scan at 300 dpi (resample to reasonable size later);

2. Try the descreening option if your TWAIN driver or other scanner driver supports it. Helps to minimize noise from matte prints, or from scanned inkjet or dye sub prints. I used the "fine art" setting for this one;

3. Do all the editing on the big (before resampling) tiff, bmp, cpt, whatever uncompressed format your software handles. Color/tone adjustments, contrast, gamma, etc., first; sharpening/unsharp masking last;

4. If resampling to a smaller size, add a bit of sharpening again. Resampling usually softens an image so it needs a little tweaking.

I'd sure like to hear comments from a technical perspective about the image - especially whether the gamma is approximately right for those of you with PCs *and* Macs (I try to set a compromise level), and whether there are any visible distracting compression artifacts. I just put a different monitor on this PC and am in the process of recalibrating everything (by eyeball).

Thanks a bunch,
Lex
===