Re: [OM] trigger Voltage for flash Vs OM cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] trigger Voltage for flash Vs OM cameras
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 03:49:06 EDT
jgettis81@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Recently I purchased a couple of Whitelightning WL-5000 studio flashes to
 use with my OM cameras I have a Om-4t and an OM-1n.  I was reading about
 them and came up with the fact that the trigger voltage is 24 volts.  Does
 anybody know if this will damage the circuits in either of these two
 cameras? >>

The 1N has a mechanical flash switch but with diode isolation. The diode is
good for 400V+ so should be no problem.

The OM4 uses an electronic SCR switch. I don't have the spec but would guess
it is at least 400V to accomodate older flashes that put out 330V on the
flash trigger. Some very old flash units put out even more up to 500V and
these could well damage the SCR. There is a very old thread recommending
against a few very high voltage flashes on the OM2S and later bodies. John
Hermanson once mentioned he had a customer who fried his OM4 in the rain with
an electronic flash unit.

The 24V should be no problem although if the polarity of the flash is wrong
it might not trigger from the cameras (but will do no harm.)

     Regards,
        Tim Hughes