[OM] XA3

Subject: [OM] XA3
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 22:12:37 -0400
Hi Jeff,
I guess the first thing I'd do is try to check the continuity from the
battery box to wherever those leads go.  You might recall my post about
2 months ago about trying to solder to the stainless or spring steel
battery contact of a Konica C35.  The reason was that I was trying to
replace the entire (about 100mm) length of the positive lead which ran
from the battery box to the light sensor.  The entire length of copper
had turned to blue copper oxide.  The "wire" broke off in my hand as I
was preparing to desolder what was left of it.  Everything else about
the camera was pristine inside including the negative lead.  I think the
XA3 is probably about the same era as the C35.  I guess they may have
used acid flux which eventually led to corrosion.

Never did finish that C35 job.  I had lots of suggestions from folks.
John H. said acid flux and heat.  I bought some flux that I thought was
acid but it wasn't and it didn't work even after heating up with the
propane torch.  Gotta get some acid flux now and get back to that one.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Mass.

Jeff said:
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to why my XA3 would all
of a sudden stop working. It seems totally dead now. I put in new
batteries and I can't even get the battery check to work...