[OM] Flash and my OM1

Subject: [OM] Flash and my OM1
From: Sam Shiell <Sam.Shiell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:57:57 +0100
Hi all,

After many years of faithful service my OM1 is having a bad time.....

Basically it's the flash intermittently not firing. Happens on both the
hot-shoe and the sync-socket. I haven't tried another flash unit but when
it's going wrong I can fire the flash by shorting out the sync lead, but if
I then immediately plug it into the camera it fails again, until it decides
that it's had enough of that game and goes back to working OK.

Now that bad news is that I sent it to be serviced and asked them
specifically to look at this. They charged my an arm-and-leg (I could have
ditched the camera and bought another one for the price of the service!) but
after about 7 months - after the service guarantee ran out - it happened
again.

Any suggestions here? is there a set of points I could easily get to clean
or something. I used to be an office equipment service engineer
(photocopiers / typewriters word-processors etc) so I know how to work a
screwdriver.

Thanks for your opinions here.

Sam Shiell