[OM] Stereo images of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto

Subject: [OM] Stereo images of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto
From: Erwin Voogt <erwin.voogt@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 23:13:31 +0200
Hi,

New pictures on my site and this time I returned to my Olympus roots:
astronomy pictures.
I scanned and uploaded two pairs of pictures: one stereoscopic pair of
Uranus and Neptune, and one stereoscopic pair of Pluto.
Stereoscopic? Yes! If you look cross-eyed to the pictures and manage to
combine both images, the planets will be leveling in front of the background
stars! You can also save the pictures and switch quickly between the images
with a viewing program. In that case the planets can be easily identified
because they are "hopping".
All pictures are taken with an OM1 on ektachrome 400. For the Uranus/Neptune
picture I used the Tokina 80-200 mm F2.8 at the 200 mm setting. The pluto
picture is taken with a 52 cm Newton reflector with a focal distance of 1958
mm. That's twice the focal length of the Zuiko 1000 mm F11, however it is
still a F3.8!
On the webpages more technical information is given:

http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/index.html

Bye,

Erwin Voogt
Utrecht, The Netherlands.

PS While scanning and editting the pictures I also found out that jpeg is
not the right compression method for pictures of stars. I planned to show
you pictures taken with the SC 50/1.4, but the jpeg made the optical
performance of this lens really lousy... :-(
May be next week I try again.