Re: [OM] 35mm Shift instructions or help needed

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm Shift instructions or help needed
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 08:40:59 +0000
At 08:37 8/7/00 , Frank Ernens wrote:
>extension tubes and teleconverters). With the OM-3, OM-4 and OM-2SP
>the sensor is optically in the same place as the film, no matter what
>the lens is doing. This also applies to off-the-film auto, that is "auto"
>on all the single-digit OM's which have it. If this theory is correct,
>you can meter after shifting with those cameras in those modes, and in
>particular with any of the OM-2SP, OM-4[Ti] and OM-3[Ti], but you will
>get into trouble with the OM-1 and with the OM-2 in manual mode. I use
>only the OM-2SP and OM-4 with this lens.

I have used an OM-1n with the shift lens, but it is more difficult and
requires patience.  After stopping down to meter for exposure (whether
doing this before or after the shift), you must wait for the meter to
settle.  Since it is manual stop-down lens, there is no moving lever to
bias the meter to the aperture setting (the tab is there but it doesn't
move).  If you have bright light (esp. sun) at your back it requires
keeping your eye in the viewfinder or heavily shading it to the light from
traveling through the viewfinder to the meter.  Unlike the OM-1n, the OM-4
meter responds instantly to the stop-down.  With the moving meter biasing
lever in the "Auto-[S,W,T]" lenses, the OM-1n metering responds instantly
to aperture changes.  I suspect the OM-2[n] metering behaves similarly to
the OM-1n.

This is one of the reasons the shift lenses are not nearly as easy to use
for general wide angle work as the Auto-W's are.

-- John