[OM] Postcard From Zakynthos

Subject: [OM] Postcard From Zakynthos
From: "Reynolds Paul (NAP Cheltenham)" <PReynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:59:59 +0100
A while back I posted to the list a question regarding the Greek Island of
Zakynthos, and whether anybody had done any photography there, since we had
just booked a holiday. No one responded, so I assume that no body had.
Interestingly though, in getting back up to speed with the digests, I notice
that we have at least one Greek contributor to the list :-)

The fact is that we got back from spending a week's holiday there on
Tuesday, and I have just posted my films for developing, i.e. 100 Provia,
Kodachrome 64, (never used this one before), 100 Sensia II, and 100 Fuji
Superia print film, plus a roll of Jessops 200 ASA print film for good
measure. Shots were taken with the OM4 or OM1 (see later), with a 20/3.8
Cosina, 28/2.8 and 35/2 Zuikos and the 90/2.5 Tamron (thanks again Tom,
great lens).

I'll be posting some of the better shots (assuming there are some), to
Photoloft as soon as I can, I'll let you all know when I have the URL
(exciting this or what?).

What I think I'll have (or hope anyway) is a mixture of candids, scenery,
people etc to try and convey the colour and flavour of the place and a pace
of life that's different to what most of us are used to. Hopefully not too
picture postcardish.

The resort where we stayed, Laganas, is a breeding ground for turtles. I was
lucky enough to witness, early one morning, the sight of a solitary, newly
hatched young turtle, no more than 3 inches long, making its way from where
it had hatched to the sea, about 50 or 60 yards away. To him (or her) this
must have seemed mountainous terrain. It was (not surprisingly) exhausted by
the time it got there but eventually, we reckon, swam away.  This sight will
live in the memory for a long time. Hopefully I will have some pix for
posterity.

Unfortunately, after a couple of days, my OM4 suffered the dreaded lock up
syndrome, while I was loading it with film and pressing the
shutter/advancing the lever. Toggling in and out of the bulb/manual setting
doesn't make any difference.  I had my OM1 as back up, fortunately, but I do
miss spot metering in tricky lighting situations. Coupled with this, before
we went away, I found that my recently acquired OM2n isn't metering
correctly, and is also in need of repair. Given what I paid for it,
relatively not a lot, I'm not too downhearted, given its overall condition.

There is an outfit called Central Cameras, based in Walsall, fairly close to
where I live, who advertise in AP. Has anyone in the UK had any experience
of them? I called them about the 2n and they seemed on the face of it, to be
fairly knowledgeable about Oly gear. If it is a simple recalibration , then
they reckon it would cost about £20.00 plus VAT. The OM4, I fear, is another
matter. This is the second OM4 to lock up on me in this way.

Paul Reynolds
Cheltenham
UK
This email transmission is confidential and intended for the addressee
only. It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you
are not the person or organisation to whom it is addressed, you must
not copy, distribute, or take any action in reliance upon it. If you
have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by
telephone or email Postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and return it.

Carillion PLC Registered in England No. 3782379
Registered Office:
Birch Street Wolverhampton WV1 4HY