Re: [OM] Pushing C-41 film

Subject: Re: [OM] Pushing C-41 film
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 02:04:15 GMT
ASA 100 to 400 is just a two-stop underexposure, which some films can handle pretty well without push processing. Based on personal experience here's what you can expect if it's processed normally: thin, grayish prints that can be printed much better if you're willing to wrestle with the lab tech. But if you get a know-nothing lab tech, don't expect much. A good tech, OTOH, can do wonders with such negatives. The best prints can either be low contrast but with acceptable detail (good choice for scanning and digital reworking) or high-contrast with good color but blown highlights and no shadow detail - okay for snapshots to pass around but not so good for scanning.

Since you say these photos aren't of anything irreplaceable, I'd be inclined to go with normal processing just to see how Fuji Super HG 100 responds. I know that Fuji Superia X-tra 800 (or Fuji CZ) handles under- and overexposure quite well.

Otherwise, expect to pay another $3-$5 for push processing by a lab that knows how.

Lex
===