[OM] Tamrac, Airport, Trade Show

Subject: [OM] Tamrac, Airport, Trade Show
From: BriarPipes@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 14:38:51 EDT
    I just returned from an industry trade show in San Antonio, where I did
some product photography for a magazine I scribble for.  For the trip, I
purchased a Tamrac 678 (the large, rolling backpack) to lug my OM1, OM2n,
OM4t, assorted Zuikos, flashes, et al.  This Tamrac just barely fits into the
overhead compartment of most commercial jets.  It also just slips through the
newer, size-limiting X-ray screening machines for carry-on baggage--with nary
a centimeter to spare--provided one doesn't load up the pockets with bulky
filter wallets and the like.

    At the trade show, I did mostly product shooting, using the OM2n, 50 mm
f/3.5 macro, and my new Sunpak DX12 ringlight flash with dedicated module.
I'm fairly pleased so far with the Sunpak, although the module sure gives the
shoe 4 a workout as it's being attached.  Most folks at the show, both
exhibitors and visitors, gave me a wide berth while I was shooting.  However,
one bozo photographer from a Euro magazine was breathing down my neck while I
was framing for a macro shot.  When I asked him if he needed something from
me, he said, "Could you move your camera so I can shoot it (a new $10,000
smoking pipe)?"  Fortunately, the exhibitor, whose product I was shooting, is
a friend and told the other guy to scram.

    On the trip home, I put my Tamrac through the X-ray machine.  As it went
through the machine, the operator yelled, "Oh wow!"  He goosed the power of
the machine so high that I could swear it was glowing like an old vacuum tube
radio.  I told him it was just photography equipment.  He barked, "Hand
check!"  Fortunately, the woman who did the hand-checking was polite and
didn't insist on opening every camera back and lens case.

I have found it helpful to gently mention to these security people, who don't
make a lot of money, that a colleague of theirs, at ANOTHER airport, recently
dropped and broke a $4000 lens. ;)   Not wanting to tempt fate, they usually
give my kit a cursory glance and send me on my way.

Jim Lawson