RE: [OM] Changing enlargements in frames and mounting?

Subject: RE: [OM] Changing enlargements in frames and mounting?
From: Frank Berryman <FAB@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:09:03 -0500
I gave this some thought years ago and concluded that the best way to do it
was to standardized my enlargements and matte sizes for 8x10, 11x14 and
16x20 frames.  I prefer clear wood over aluminum.  I'd have to go back and
see if I could find my notes on what the opening sizes were - as I recall
the border at the top and sides was the same, and the border area at the
bottom was 1.5x or 2x the top/side border.  There is some sort of "golden
ratio" to determine this.  I typically printed "full frame" so I had to make
some adjustments.

You will definitely want to avoid adhesives of any kind.  The prints should
be attached to the backing using small "corners" made of archival paper.  To
cut the cost and space of having a thick matte with beveled edges for each
print, I just had a thin matte for each print with an opening slightly large
than the thick matte opening.  That way I could just slip the print in the
frame behind the thick "presentation" matte.  Of course, the backing and the
mattes should be of archival paper, not just the storage boxes.

Hope that helps.