[OM] Questionable behavior of an OM2S

Subject: [OM] Questionable behavior of an OM2S
From: "Barry Obut" <barry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:29:18 -0400
Greetings,

I've just acquired an OM2S and I've noticed an odd behavior. Before
I attempt to return it, I thought I'd describe the problem to the list in
case I am doing something wrong or there is a simple fix.

Here is the problem: If I set the camera to auto or program mode I
am experiencing longer shutter open times than the light meter
indicates. At times like 1/8 I can hear the difference compared to
manual at the same setting. It sounds more like 1/4. The problem
gets worse as the time gets longer to the point where the light meter
registers 1 second and the shutter remains open for about 30
seconds. Program mode gets the same results. The shutter speeds
in manual mode seem just fine. I did these tests with a roll of film
(previously exposed) in the camera, the ASA set to 200, and the
exposure compensation set to it's normal position.  For comparison,
I checked against an OM4 which I know to be working properly. THe
OM4 did not exhibit the strange behavior in its auto mode. The
battery checks out OK in the OM2S, although it is the two battery in
one kind, but I tried substituting the batteries from the OM4 to be
sure. Same result with my good batteries from the OM4.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Barry

Barry Obut
email: barry@xxxxxxxxxx