Re: [OM] Aftermarket Super Wide and 500mm mirror

Subject: Re: [OM] Aftermarket Super Wide and 500mm mirror
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:54:09 +0000
At 04:45 7/21/00 , Lex Jenkins wrote:

>Unfortunately I recently peered through a Canon "L" series ultra-WA and am
>suffering from aftershock.  I declined to try the store's 19mm Zuiko for
>fear of a relapse.  I'll have to wait a while for my expectations to settle
>to an affordable level.
>-----------
>Lex Jenkins

I think the Zuiko you intended is the 18mm f/3.5 and it is a very fine lens.

It *is* easy to make perspective lines very unnatural looking with it.  I
haven't noted any "distortion" (pincushion, barrel, etc.), and Gary Reese's
lens testing of two samples also mentions a lack of distortion.  However, I
have learned to be cautious around anything with strong linear lines,
vertical or horizontal.  The super-wide angle of view will immediately show
the effects of any tilt or rotation, and horizontal perspectives will be
greatly exaggerated especially if they are close and/or near the edges.
This holds true with all super-wides in this class of focal length.

I highly recommend the 49-72 step-up and metal hood for this lens which is
threaded for a 72mm metal lens cap and filters.  The front element
protrudes requiring the same lens cap as the 16/3.5 fisheye without one.
With the step-up on the lens you can use the 72mm flat metal cap.  The
great advantage of the hood is keeping light outside of the angle of view
off of the front element.  Carefully watching where any strong light is
coming from and checking to see if any just outside the field of view is
falling on the front element is recommended, even with the hood.  It can
help prevent discovery of aperture flare after the photographs are
developed; it is not always easy to see this type of flare through the
viewfinder.

-- John