Re: [OM] must see nyc

Subject: Re: [OM] must see nyc
From: jpendley@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:20:53 -0400
Hi Acer,
I've no idea where Yonkers is, and I'm aware of your limititions of
time.  I have only been to nyc once, years ago, but by far the most
memorable place I visited is the Cloisters.  It's at the far north of
Manhatten Island (but still on the island, I think).  The subway does go
there.  It's a medieval stone monastery that some turn-of-the-century
mogul bought, had disassembled with the stones numbered, shipped across
the Atlantic, and reassembled on a bluff overlooking the Hudson (at
least, this is the story as I remember it).  It is an annex of the
Metropolitan Museum exclusively dedicated to the most beautiful
collection of medieval art.  The famous unicorn tapesteries are there.
There is a mind-numbing display of illuminated manuscripts, carved ivory
and ebony (carved so intricately that there is hardly a flat space of
the object), and gems.  And, of course, the building and grounds are a
once-in-a-lifetime experience for most of us.  I remember your photo
essay on the library.  If you really like to photograph buildings, and
their contents, the Cloisters is a place you'll never forget.
Regards,
John P