Re: [OM] sunpak flash stuff

Subject: Re: [OM] sunpak flash stuff
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 08:44:38 EDT
>I tried my Sunpak 444D, T20, and Viv 4600 w/ded mod with both an OM-2S
and
>OM-1N. They all act differently with the ready light.  We know what
the T20
>does.  The Viv 4600 does the same thing with a vengeance (I mean it
really
>blinks the ready light like crazy).  Of course mine makes the ready
light
>blink even when it's just in stand-by mode.  The Sunpak has the least
>interaction with the ready light:  it is on in stand-by, goes off when
the
>shutter is clicked, and the green ready light on the flash body does
all
>the blinking to indicate sufficient light.
>
>Joel Wilcox

Thanks for confirming my experience Joel. Using the dedicated OM module
with the Sunpak 555 last night with film in the camera, I noticed the
same behavior as you did with your 444D. The green "auto OK" light on
the back of the 555 lit up after each exposure, aparently indicating
that TTL exposure was correct. The module has the same number of pins
as the T20, so I don't know why the LED in the viewfinder doesn't
flicker upon correct exposure.

I'm experimenting with using the patato masher flash with architectural
subjects. I'm using an OM-2n with the 555, all in auto mode. I probably
should just use "normal auto" and fool the flash by setting the wrong
film speed to get fill flash, but we'll see how these turn out first.

I'm also becoming a dedicated polarizer user. I should look into
getting a "thin ring" version of one for my 24mm lens, since my regular
B+W one vignettes with that lens.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright