Re: [OM] eBay advice given

Subject: Re: [OM] eBay advice given
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 00:11:47 +0000
If you want to see some good eBay postings, take a look at how Gary Reese
(aka "pcacala") puts his together.  Then browse his eBay "me" page.  These
are part of why he's a successful seller (along with being an all-round
nice guy).

A slightly different style, but also effective are Tom Scales' (aka
"tscales") auctions (search for closed ones) and his "me" page.

Some sellers try very hard to obscure who they really are and strive for
complete anonymity.  I don't know why they do this!  A seller who is up
front with something sincerely written about themself will instill more
confidence among potential bidders.  Recommend you put together a "me" page
with a good photograph of yourself and something about who you are.  If you
have your own web site, put a link to it on the "me" page.

I strongly recommend using an "alias" for your eBay ID and letting people
request your email address from eBay.  Spammers turn automated "bots" loose
to scoop up email addresses left out in the open (just as they have done
with the USENET newsgroups for years).  You may still get a little even
with an alias, but you will get an unending deluge of SPAM if you leave
your email address in the open.

A low cost feature is having a small thumbnail of your item in their
"gallery."  One winning bidder found an item I was selling there.

GL with your eBay experience
-- John

At 03:32 7/12/00 , Gregg chimed in: