(Fwd) Re: [OM] copyright issues

Subject: (Fwd) Re: [OM] copyright issues
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 20:35:04 +0000
Date:          Fri, 07 Jul 2000 07:44:23 -0500
To:            cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx
From:          Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:       Re: (Fwd) Re: [OM] copyright issues

Zuikoids:

On the subject of selling wedding and other special event photographs to
the general public enters into a strange arena that will vary depending on
the primary clients.  If the wedding is especially photogenic and you are
thinking "portfolio" the whole time, I would arange a model release and
understanding from the clients in exchange for a slight discount or freebee
enlargement or something.  Usually never a problem to "buy" the approval
from them unless they are already famous.

Typically, the negatives remain the property of the photographer although
there are many photographers out there that will pass off all rights to the
client and not bother with the reprint business.  Both methods are
perfectly valid and I've done both depending on the clients.  You will get
a good idea whether or not you will expect a lot of reprints early on and
if the couple or mothers are real pains I will just alter the package a
little and give them the negs instead of the 8x10s.

It makes no sense to hang on to the negatives from an average wedding
beyond six months after the wedding.  Probably half of the couples I've
shot are already divorced--one was within six months.  Get rid of the negs
for a nominal price at the six month to one year point.  You won't get
anymore reprints after the first three months anyway.  Only keep those
negative sets that you can resell.

Again, even though the rights belong to you, the photographer, it isn't
kosher to sell the photographs for other uses unless you have a model
release and an understanding from the primary clients.  Can you imagine
coming back from your honeymoon in Cancun and seeing your wedding pictures
hanging in a Sprint Advertisement at the airport?  Especially, if it's the
picture of the bride falling down over the alter with her parts showing.

Ken Norton