re [OM] Olympus Ace E Rangefinder

Subject: re [OM] Olympus Ace E Rangefinder
From: "dlanor" <dlanor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 17:17:00 +0800
Kar Yan Mak,   Canon50E@xxxxxxx  asks for : "information about Olympus Ace E
rangefinder.. (got) Tower 19 ...identical ... any scans or pictures you may
have.  searched web ..could hardly find any information, it doesn't look
like it even exists.  looked ...''95-96 McKeown's to know what it was"

Indeed, Olympus made Tower 19 for Sears & Roebuck, identical to Olympus Ace
E.  Ace is 1958-60, Ace E 1958-61 with match needle selenium cell metering.
Rangefinder cameras with 3 interchangeable lenses available; 45mmf2.8,
35mmf2.8, 80mmf5.6; (apparently there is a 4th lens?) a unique mount as far
as I know.

Olympus's only interchangeable lens rangefinder camera, apart from  "Olympus
Standard" of 1937 for 127 film, very few made.  Before the  Ace E, the only
Olympus camera with meter is "Wide E" 1957-58.  Comtemporary with Ace/ Ace E
are "35-S II" (no meter),  Auto / Auto B (selenium cell), with fixed lens of
42/45mm.

Ace is a delightful, heavy camera and great to use, clear viewfinder, 3 sets
of easily seen brightlines for 3 lenses; AND they move for automatic
parallax correction as you focus closer!  The small rangefinder box in the
viewfinder is a delight to use.

I bought an ACE recently, shot 2 rolls, Konica Centuria 100, Kodak
Ektachrome 100 and Sekonic selenium cell meter on accessory shoe.  I was
very impressed (stunned actually for a 40yo camera!)  with the slide + print
results.  Will use it again, makes you appreciate photography from that
time, you get away from wizz bang point shoots.

Pictures can be seen in photopoint, includes 4 taken with the Olympus ACE,
see "wmlldog" "wmllsail" Estrlng" "Nstrlng" at :-

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=893222&a=7035889

So Kar Yan Mak, I can only suggest, that if useable, put film in your Ace E
and try it.  If the meter doesn't work, use print film, and go by the bright
sun - f/16 1/"film speed rule", and bracket.  But just have fun.

Next I may put film in an Olympus 35 IVa (1953) viewfinder camera for the
heck of it!

If anyone has any Ace/ Ace E lens they don't want --- yes please, I'll have
them ?

Ron Ligtermoet
dlanor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx