Re:[OM] Writeable CD (OT)

Subject: Re:[OM] Writeable CD (OT)
From: "Pawel Golik" <pgolik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 16:33:32 -0400
>We are thinking about getting a writeable CD for our PC.  We run Adobe
Photo
>Shop and have a large file of family photos and historic family photos to
>archive.
>
>Any thoughts on what type to get would be appreciated.  Can you get one
that
>plugs into USB port, or am I better off to replace the CDROM in the box
with
>the new device?  Any ideas would be appreciated.

I can't say anything about USB devices, the parallel (printer) port external
CD-writers were VERY poor, I don't expect USB to be that much better.
Whatever you do, don't replace your CD-ROM with a CD-RW, they don't make
good readers and it is generally advised to use CD-RW for writing and your
old CD-ROM for reading. The simplest option would be to just add a CD-RW
drive to your box in addition to the existing drives, unless you don't have
free bays in your case.
If adding the internal drive is not an option, I'd go with an external SCSI
CD writer. Sure, it costs more as you'll need a SCSI controller (although
you can get away with a very cheap one if you don't plan on using SCSI hard
disks) but it will be the most versatile, robust and speedy solution. You
will also be able to add a SCSI scanner later on if you need. BTW, if you
decide to go for an internal drive then you can consider SCSI too - much
better performance and reliability than IDE.
I can't be more specific not knowing the details of your configuration,
contact me off-list if you need more advice, as this will be way OT for the
Oly crowd, I'm afraid.
        Regards
        Pawel

--
Pawel Golik, Ph.D.
Center for Molecular Medicine, Emory University