Re: [OM] Writeable CD

Subject: Re: [OM] Writeable CD
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 12:04:02 -0500
Cc: <DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx>
David,

I have experience with a number of different variations.  I have a Sony USB
one, but it was an early model.  Works fine, but only reliably writes at 1X.
Useful, but slow. I suspect the new ones work better at higher speeds.

My best success has been with a SCSI drive, but if you don't need SCSI for
something else (I have a film scanner too), then it's overkill.

Personally, I'd just buy an inexpensive name-brand IDE drive and put it in
your PC.  If you have the spots on your IDE chain (max of 4 things), and an
extra external bay, then definately keep both the CD drive and the CD-RW
drive. You'll end up wanting to copy CD's and it's so much easier with both
drives.

My two cents.

Tom