Re: [OM] <ot> digicam jpg format?

Subject: Re: [OM] <ot> digicam jpg format?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 11:41:28 -0600
Cc: siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 08:22 PM 6/30/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>i'm volunteering at the California Musuem of Photography Digital Studio
><digitalstudio.ucr.edu>, and one of the drills was to take self portraits
>using different exp. comp. settings to find out the optimal one for future
>use. the resulting image from a Kodak DC210 is 230kb or something, and i
>emailed the raw image (photovista or picture viewer image it said, i
>think on the iMacs they have there) to myself so i can put use it at
>home. however, i can't open it in any app, not MS Photo Editor, Picture
>It, or Adobe PhotoShop5.5. If it's a JPG, why can't I? I won't be back
>there till Tuesday or later (once i get there, i'll "save for web" in
>PS). Is there any way to open and edit (mostly resize, downsample) the
>file? I'll post it on my webpage later this evening so you can try it as
>well (around 2030 to 2100 PDT (gmt -7)) altho it won't display at all (you
>can d/l it). tried the photovista or picture viewer plug-in to no avail
>
>http://student.ucr.edu/~siddim01/me.jpg

D00d:

Yeah, you're right, it's got an invalid JPEG marker in it.  However, such
niceties of file structure have never bothered programs like ThumbsPlus, which
opened it without any problem whatsoever.  ("File format information?  WE DON'
NEED NO STEENKIN' FILE FORMAT INFORMATION, MANG...")  ;-)

If you'd like, I can ship you the re-formatted version.  (Actually, I *will*
ship you a re-formatted version in a private message.)  I do recommend that you
pick up a copy of ThumbsPlus -- great image viewer, thumbnailer, organizer,
etc.  It's worth the (relatively modest) registration fee, too...

Garth