Re: [OM] Last weekend's work...

Subject: Re: [OM] Last weekend's work...
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:44:31 -0500
Cc: <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Mike,

What can I say, amazing work.  The colors jump off the screen and the
panning shots are particularly nice. To catch the car perfectly is an art.
I've saved the link as I want to go over each shot in more detail when I
find more time.  At first glance, I particularly like sp00_11.jpg, where the
car is actually off the ground.  Sp99_23 is awfully nice too, with the
smoothly blurred background.  You must have had a great time.

I grew up in Indiana and for 5 or 6 years in the mid-80's I was an official
at the Indy 500.  I ran the main timing computer on race day and all the
qualification days.  The side benefit of the job (volunteer, unpaid of
course) was that I had an all-access pass and a reserved parking spot next
to the tower. There was something wonderful about driving around the line
waiting to get in on race day, driving the wrong way down the road and
turning in front of the first car and having the guard let you into the
track.

My first day on the job, my 'boss' explained that I had one of only about a
dozen of the '99' passes.  When I asked where I could go, his answer was "if
you want to have a picnic, on the track, in the first turn, during the race,
this badge lets you do it.  I just wouldn't recommend it".

I went to my first Indy 500 at age 6.

Racing is a blast.

Tom