Re: [OM] TeleConverter

Subject: Re: [OM] TeleConverter
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:57:55 +0100
Sam Shiell wrote:
>A local Cash Converters has a 2X tele-converter. I can't see a
manufacturers
>name anywhere other than AICO. Does that sound like a manufacturer?? I've
>never heard of them and have done a quick "Yahoo" search on the internet
>that found nothing.
Aico/PSL were importers and stuck their name on things that would be
otherwise anonymous. I have auto extension tubes and an air release carrying
their brand.

>They want 7 UK Pounds for it (about 10 US dollars, 18 Australian dollars).
>Is it worth the bother? What problems might it have? What should I check?

When these things first appeared the camera magazines tested a few and said
that there wasn't much difference between using one and just enlarging the
centre of the negative. I have a Soligor 2X somewhere. You lose two stops
but TTL metering allows for that. As long as you don't expect too much from
it seven quid's not too bad and you can always poke the glass out later to
make an auto tube. There are some expensive ones (e.g. Oly) that were
specifically designed for particular lenses and these should yield much
better results when suitably matched.

>Also, I've never bought anything from a Cash Converts before. Are their
>prices "in concrete" or do they expect you to haggle?
Me neither but it can't do any harm to make them an offer.  If they've had
it in stock for a while they may be more amenable to lowering their price.

Regards,
Keith Berry
(Birmingham, England)
k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx