Re: [OM] Re: why dangle lenses? (was something else, I forget what)

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: why dangle lenses? (was something else, I forget what)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 23:20:50 +0000
This thread reminds me of Ansel Adams' "visualization" concept.

Wish I had several Kodachromes scanned as it is a classic demo of the same
subject kept the same size in the frame and shot with different focal
lengths.  The first one was a WA, (24mm?), the second a 50mm, and the last
two were the 135mm and 200mm.  Wanted to use the 300mm but couldn't back up
any farther.  The difference in background for the first and last image is
dramatic.  Each has its own character.

Visualizing for the standard 50mm is generally easier than for a w.a. or
tele.  What I think is important is whether the photograph has achieved the
photographer's "visualization" of the subject.  If it does that, it is
"perfect"  and demonstrates at least some technical mastery.

Take ten photographers to a specific location, give them a specific
subject, and each will "visualize" the same subject from the same general
vantage point differently.  It would be a very dull, drab and boring
existence if it were otherwise.  We would then only need *one* photographer
for the entire world.

John's advice:  Don't worry too much about how others might have done your
subject material differently.  Yes, their critiques can generate ideas for
you and give pointers about how to master the technical aspects.  In that
they have value.  Ask instead whether the image achieves _your_
"visualization" of the subject (i.e., is the resulting image what you
wanted and intended it to be)?

[token Oly content]
Thank goodness the OM is an expansive, flexible system, albeit some parts
of it are now out of production.  Such a system provides the tools for
achieving the photographer's "visualization" of the subject.

-- John