Re: [OM] Newcomer... Hi all !!!

Subject: Re: [OM] Newcomer... Hi all !!!
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 00:36:43 +0000
Hello and welcome to the list.  Owned a 75-150/4 for 20 years.  It was an
inexpensive single-coated two-touch (separate focus and zoom rings) zoom
intended for those who could not afford the more expensive lenses.
However, the construction of it and the other original inexpensive lenses
(not the new ones for the OM-2000) is typical Zuiko quality.  It is light
weight and compact and mine was reasonably sharp.  You can easily use it
hand held at 150mm with a good steady stance.  Because there were many of
them made they are more easily found.

I would suggest the 65-200 also; it was a later lens, covers more range,
but is heavier and larger.  I tend toward the faster primes now as I found
the f/4 limiting under some conditions.  If you are interested in
rebuilding your lens line-up with primes and a 100/2.8 seems too short for
what you want, consider also the 135/2.8 which is I think is under-rated.
Perhaps harder to find it is a typical higher end Zuiko, light and compact
also.  It lives in the shadow of the superb (and very expensive) 100/2
which tends to keep its price down.

Because you've had numerous systems, you undoubtedly have a good idea what
focal lengths you want to cover.  Several sites to visit to get an idea of
what lenses were and still are made, their performance, and their price range:
  http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif.htm
  http://www.datasync.com/~farrar/zuiko.html
  http://www.skipwilliams.com/olympus/zuiko_ebay_history.htm
  http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm