[OM] Total Bonehead attempts to use 500/f8 mirror lens

Subject: [OM] Total Bonehead attempts to use 500/f8 mirror lens
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 16:15:45 -0400
It wasn't until my head hit the pillow last night that I fully realized the
complete ignorance of my ways. Earlier in the day I'd gone out to shoot my
1st polo match. Coincidentally, it was the last of the season, and I needed
the pics for a Wed. assignment.

I had all the clues right there in front of me. It was hotter than hades
and bright enough that I seriously worried that none of the pictures would
have anything approaching decent lighting. Not one single time during the
shoot did I avail myself of the multitude of obvious clues that something
was dead wrong. Never did I question the OM-4's meter telling me that the
500/8 needed 1/4sec exposure time on a day so bright it hurt to raise my
sunglasses long enough to look through the viewfinder. Not one single time
did any voice, real or imagined, inside my head whisper, "Sunny 16, idiot."
I didn't even get it when I screwed a 2 stop reducing filter onto the
75-150/4 to get it down to something like 1/250. I simply didn't get it.
Not at all, that is, until I tried to go to sleep. Then, by God I got it.
It grabbed me and tortured me for mine own stupidity. Apparently the OM-4's
meter can't see past the realtively huge lens obstruction in the Tokina
500/f8 mirror reflex lens.

This is no fault of the OM-4, nor do I know if the Zuiko 500/8 suffers from
the same plight. Rather this is pure operator error. I had all the clues
and didn't use them. So now I'm awaiting to see if there are any useable
images from what should've been a very active roll. Oh well, I hope I don't
do that again.

(Yes Doris, I do need reprogramming. Somebody needs to program a brain into
this apparently empty space between my ears.)

Sigh,
Mike Swaim