[OM] Re: Lots of time, but...

Subject: [OM] Re: Lots of time, but...
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 14:17:31 -0400
Donald wrote:
>    So all this talk of what to take has been useful, even if my stock is
>limited. I have the following lenses:
>
>    28/3.5 Zuiko
>    35/2 Zuiko
>    50/1.8 Zuiko
>    85/2 Zuiko
>    135/2.8 Zuiko
>    35-70/4 Zuiko
>    75-150/4 Zuiko
>
>    500/8 Catadioptric Centon
>
>    28-70/3.5 - 4.8 Macro Miranda
>    60-200/4-5.6 Sigma
>
>As well as landscape and the usual holiday snaps I will be at the side of
>the road for two stages of the Tour de France, and hunting training parties
>on the rest day. For the Tour I will be using the OM2n and the 85/2 and the
>OM10 with the 35/2, with my Vivitar 283 on the BG2 with (thank you Rand E)
>the Varipower mounted for fill-in flash on the OM2n. Both Kodachrome 64.
>
>On the bike I will be using the two compacts, print film (Kodak 100 Gold) in
>the foolproof XA1 and Kodachrome in the XA2 (which looks as though it has
>been sandpapered, lens included; but it still takes good, contrasty pics!).
>Of course I will be cycling to the Tour, but I can carry the kit I need on
>my back...
>
>I can take everything I have, but will probably only take the above
>mentioned primes, the 135/2.8, 75-150/4 (well *I* like it) and the Cat. It's
>quite good for shimmery, long-distance shots of approaching mayhem as the
>Tour juggernaut approaches! And those doughnuts!!
>
>Any comments, suggestions, advice, offers of loans ;-) ?
>
>Donald.

Don't appologize for that kit. It's not limited. The only real thing that
bothers me about what you propose is the Kodachrome 64 and the Kodak Gold
100. I just got back in from shooting a polo match in the amazingly bright
mid-day Carolina sun (worst possible time for photos, horses, players.....
91F in the shade...). Anyway, I was using my 500/8 Tokina cat and the
75-150/4 with Tri-X 400. Even with that film and the sunlight so bright it
hurt, most of the 500/8 pics were at around 1/4. Waaaaayy too slow. I
switched back to the 75-150/4 just because I really needed faster shutter
speeds to get anything other than blurs. For covering a bike race, (or
horse race) I'm not sure I'd bother at all with anything below 400 ISO,
(Fuji Sensia or Reala would be my slide films of choice) and would feel
better if I had some nice grainy 3200 along as well.

Of the lenses you mention, personally, I'd go for: 35/2, 85/2, 35-70/4,
75-150/4 and 500/8 cat.
But that's just me, and maybe I'm weird. ;-)

Mike Swaim