Re: [OM] Lens test pink f1.4s versus green 1.4s

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens test pink f1.4s versus green 1.4s
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:00:15 -0600
At 10:02 AM 6/23/2000 +0100, David Low wrote:
>Ahem,
>
>what is the difference between these lenses?, Larry posted a note about
>serial nos etc?. I read the digest and thought I've got 3x1.4s, one of which
>is used as a body cap (bent filter thread).
>I have one pink and 2 greens..
>
>Actually all I want to know is which takes the better picture and why?.. I
>have always grabbed the first one to hand......
>I'm probably being dense here or is it the SC v MC discussion in another
>guise?

It certainly *sounds* like the SC vs. MC discussion.

If I may be so bold as to summarize the group discussions going on around this
issue for the last year or so, it appears that no-one really concludes that one
is "better" than the other, but rather that SC and MC confer different
"qualities" to the image, with SC being "softer" and possibly "warmer," while
MC produces a "harder" and "cooler" image.

Frankly, I prefer MC simply because I can always selectively alter/degrade an
image (in Photoshop, say, or with various filters in front of the lens), but
improving an image which starts out with lower quality is quite difficult.
Others may disagree, of course.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/