[OM] It's here!

Subject: [OM] It's here!
From: "David Jenkinson" <Dangerous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 15:59:47 +0100
Well, troops......
It's Here!
OM3 turned up from Mr Cad.  Slight dent on top of the pentaprism housing,
tiny bit of brassing on the pentaprism housing corners and a few scratches
around the tripod bush, but otherwise nice and clean and well looked after
version.  The superb metering of an OM4 with the simplicity of an OM1.  I've
fitted the 2/13 screen, (a gift from Jessops for my trouble!) and I'm
delighted with the now very bright viewfinder image, with a 50/1.8 on you
don't know your looking through a camera .  Nice size, nice "heft" to it, so
it doesn't feel flimsy like the OM40.  Viewfinder illuminator doesn't work,
but I don't care about that.
One question...why does it have the 5 pin "T" socket if it doesn't do TTL
flash?
I like the battery check on the 3, no chance of it getting turned on by
accident like the 4.
I like the mechanical sounds, when you move the shutter speed ring between
1/30s and 1/60s, of wee gears and springs and things moving in an excitingly
mechanical way.  I like the tight, clean click of the shutter at 1/125 and
above, although it's louder than the OM4's I've tried.  I like the fact that
the state of the batteries isn't a key factor in the picture taking process,
as batteries don't like the cold, as the main use I have for the camera is
the mountains, esp. in the winter.
I like the way the camera remember the EV when you use the spot meter, so
you can adjust the camera accordingly to fine tune exposure.

I like everything about it.

John wrote:
>>Hmm I thought that we had decided that the best way to  handle the wife
was tell you that you had always had that camera.  I think that admitting
you bought something like that qualifys you for insane<<

This was one of those rare, beautiful moments when I had "she who must be
obeyed"'s permission up to a certain figure, providing I decorate, look
after the kids for the next three years so she can go out drinking and
carousing every night, etc etc.
Not so the OM2n I'm picking up tomorrow (well swapping it for my OM40
really, good deal from the camera shop.)  I'm fabricating my excuses as we
speak, although wifey is so heartily sick of hearing me battering on about
"bloody cameras" that she'd probably not notice if I brought home an Linhoff
Technorama 6x19....

Brian, who emailed me off the list, I tried to reply but you're email
address didnae work.  Thanks anyway.
Thanks everyone who chipped in with suggestions, I seem to have landed on my
feet this time!
Cheers, away to take millions of photies in the hope that one or two are
worth looking at :))))
Dave