Re: [OM] Mirror lens bokeh

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirror lens bokeh
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 14:49:58 PDT
I've observed that same nasty bokeh effect from highlights and leaf reflections in a Tamron BBAR 75-210mm zoom I used to have. Each highlight and leaf reflection produced a perfect octagon (or however many blades were in the iris). Awful effect for most shots. Otherwise the lens was sharp and of good quality, but I ditched it in trade for another camera body.

Apparently Zuiko lens designers grasped the secret for avoiding this effect.

Lex

----Original Message Follows----
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

There have been a few comments recently about the "doughnut" effect
you get from out-of-focus point highlights in a mirror lens. I think
it is quite a pleasant effect, and it can be used creatively - I've
seen a lovely shot of kids playing in backlit surf which is rendered
almost abstract by the mirror lens' characteristics.

However, it can turn round and bite. I used to use one for
photographing cricket*. Often the backgrounds were leafy - trees or
hedges. Get an out-of-focus hedge with a little bit of colour
variation in the leaves and the result is EMETIC! Haven't we got
"Bokeh" as a topic for an upcoming TOPE? If we have I'll see if I can
recreate one of these horrors for it.